Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I know a secret about Al Burns…

He asked me to put a picture of Brad Pitt...
Instead I decorated our photo with stickers!
Alan or as I prefer, Al, was one of my first interviewees. I was a bit nervous gearing up for the interview because in the back of my mind I really wanted to apply for the MBA program which he oversees. Al is THE Dean of Business, Leadership and Psychology at Marymount California University.

Al is actually a doctor! He has an MBA and PhD in Business Administration, from Kent State University, and a Juris Doctor from the School of Law at DePaul University. Before business administration, Dr. Al pursued engineering and received a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Kettering University (formerly General Motors Institute).

Dr. Burns has over 25 years work experience in the corporate world and academia.  His corporate career includes technical and leadership positions in R&D, Engineering and Manufacturing at various supplier organizations to the automotive and heavy duty construction equipment industries.  In higher education, he has worked in administration over the past 5 years after spending many years as a professor teaching and designing courses in business, technology and law.  His areas of expertise and interests include Knowledge Management, Intellectual Property and IT Law, Digital Marketing, Information Systems and Technology, Organizational Leadership, Business Strategy and Organizational Development.

He’s a busy guy… we are lucky to have someone with such a wide variety of expertise!


The Juicy Stuff....

Al is very excited about his place at Marymount California University. It is a breath of fresh air to be able to have discretion over changes made to the curriculum. Al thinks it is very important for a Dean to be able to freely make improvements where he sees fit. As I’ve previously outlined, Dr. Al is highly experienced, so it is fantastic for the students that his voice is heard.

Al is a technologically trendy dude and one of the benefits of this quality is that his programs and curriculums are as current as possible. He describes the MBA program as “technologically innovative” and strives to provide real world tools for data projects. Dr. Al shared with me the typical schedule for a first year MBA student. I was surprised, coming from a science background, that there were labs…! I was sad at first because I’m excited to be out of the white lab coat and away from the petri dishes, but what he described to me was that these labs are research oriented. The labs he designed are to teach students an aspect of research that most MBA programs don’t. Aside from the papers and business plans required in most programs, his students will be able to learn the real world tools to help them succeed in a greater variety of areas.

Not only was it exciting to hear the great plans Al has for this program, but it was also encouraging and quite enticing. I think I’m SOLD. Thanks Al! Looking forward to getting Statistics waived over the summer ;-) wink wink, hint hint


Oh and the secret is…. Very few people know that he is a twin. When I asked whether he was a fraternal or identical twin he said “My brother says fraternal. Thank God.” Al is not sure what he means by that… 

No comments:

Post a Comment